Work Requiring Permit


A permit is required for all new buildings, additions, alterations, and substantial repairs. Minor work such as painting, wallpapering, and routine maintenance of heating, air conditioning, plumbing and electrical systems typically do not need a permit. To find out if a permit is needed, please contact the building department at (423) 479-1913.


Separate permits must be obtained for plumbing, heating and air conditioning, electrical, signs, and demolition. These permits are required even if done in conjunction with other work being performed under a building permit. For more information, please see our full list of work exempt from permitting (PDF).

Roof Replacements

When re-roofing a house, there are some instances where a permit is required. Even if a permit is not required, all roofing work must meet all code requirements. Please consult the following guidelines to ensure that your project is compliant:

  • All new roofing jobs will require the installation of a drip edge.
  • If the roof replacement involves only the shingles or other covering, then a permit is not required.
  • If the roof replacement involves the replacement of the structural decking, then a permit is required.
  • If the replacement of structural decking is required, then the new sheathing installed must be of the appropriate thickness as required by current code for the spacing of the rafters and the type of covering installed.
  • In instances of hail damage or other type of work where insurance may be involved, at the request of the owner a permit may be issued if required by insurance even if this work would not necessarily require a permit otherwise.
  • Please see our Contractor Licensing Requirements for who may obtain the necessary permit.

Cell Towers and Antenna

Cell towers that require structural assessment or that alter the footprint or structural components of the tower require a building permit. Equipment and antenna replacements or additions that do not affect the structure do not require a permit.

Please contact our office with any further questions at 423-479-1913.