Housing Discrimination

Are You a Victim of Housing Discrimination?

If you feel you have experienced unlawful discrimination, you have one year from the date of the alleged discrimination to file a complaint. You may file your complaint with the City of Cleveland, a local fair housing agency, the Tennessee Human Rights Commission, or the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). If you wish to file a complaint, you will need to provide certain information:

What happened to you?

How were you discriminated against? For example, were you refused an opportunity to rent or buy housing? Denied a loan? Told that housing was not available when in fact it was? Treated differently from others seeking housing?

Why do you think you are a victim of housing discrimination?

Is it because of your race, color, religion, sex, national origin, familial status (families with children under 18), or disability? For example, were you denied housing because of your race? Were you denied a mortgage loan because of your religion? Or turned down for an apartment because you have children?

Who do you believe discriminated against you?

For example, was it a landlord, owner, bank, real estate agent, broker, company, or organization? Identify who you believe discriminated against you.

Where did the alleged act of discrimination occur?

For example, was it at a rental unit? Single family home? Public or assisted housing? A mobile home? Did it occur at a bank or other lending institution? Provide the address.

When did the last act of discrimination occur?

Provide the date. Is the alleged discrimination continuing or ongoing?

Complaint Assistance

There is a booklet you can view or download to assist you in filing your complaint. It is available in English (PDF) or Spanish (PDF). For a copy of the booklet in additional languages, you can visit the HUD website.